FAQs: About The CMA Program
How do I enroll in CMA?
To enroll in the CMA, you’ll need to join IMA.
- Click here to select your country.
- Click "Join Today" for your membership category.
- Complete your application online and pay the membership fee. It will take about 10 minutes to Join IMA.
- After joining IMA, enroll in the CMA program.
- It will take about ten minutes to complete the online application and pay the entrance fee.
What is IMA?
IMA is the worldwide association for accountants and financial professionals working in business. We are committed to helping you—and all of our 60,000 members—to expand your professional skills, better manage your organization, and enhance your career.
For more information, please visit IMAnet.org.
What is IMA's relationship with CMA?
ICMA is an affiliate of IMA, responsible for:
- Developing, administering, and grading the CMA exam
- Establishing policies and procedures for the CMA exam
- Ensuring the overall integrity of the CMA program
The ICMA Board of Regents is responsible for setting the policies and the ICMA staff is responsible for implementing these policies.
What is required to earn CMA certification?
- Membership in IMA.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Please reference the Education Qualification Section of the CMA Handbook.
- Two continuous years of professional experience in management accounting or financial management.
- Completion of Part 1 and Part 2 of the CMA exam.
For more information, please read the CMA Handbook.
How do I register for an exam part?
The CMA exams are computer-based and administered in hundreds of testing facilities worldwide. With three testing windows each year, you can sit for an exam at a time and place convenient for you.
If you are enrolled in the CMA program and are ready to sit for the exam, here are the steps:
- File an Exam Registration Form selecting the exam(s) you wish to take and pay the indicated fees.
- Receive a Registration acknowledgment which provides your authorization number(s), testing window(s), and the Instructions for Candidates.
- Schedule your exam appointment(s) with Prometric, our testing partner.
- Once you’ve completed registration, an email will automatically be sent to you reconfirming your selection of exam, location and time.
- Appear for your scheduled exam appointment(s) with the required identification documents.
To locate a Testing Center and schedule exam appointments, visit www.prometric.com/ICMA.
CMA Exam Pass Rates
Click here to download the CMA Exam pass rates.
List of Active CMAs
A list of current CMAs can be found on this page.
What process is used to develop and grade the CMA Exam?
For more information on how the CMA Exam is developed and what process is used to grade the exam, click here.